Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Rice is one of our family’s favorite side dishes for all things Mexican. It goes together quickly and you can make a large batch all at once. I often make a large batch and portion it into bags for the freezer so we can grab and go when we want a quick side. There are only two of us two-leggeds in our family so a batch of cilantro lime rice goes a long way.
I prefer to make my cilantro lime rice in the Instant Pot vs the stove top because I can make it ahead of dinner, while working on dinner and it can sit in the Instant Pot and stay warm until we are ready to serve dinner. It also frees up a burner on the stove. I LOVE my 6 qt Instant Pot and use it a lot these days.
To make cilantro lime rice you only need a few ingredients:
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Salt + Pepper
- Lime juice
Simply saute the onions, garlic and rice in butter and olive oil, then add your broth, close the IP lid and close the vent, press “Rice” and walk away. When the rice is done and the IP has depressurized fully, naturally, open the lid and add the remaining butter and cilantro and lime juice. Give it a good stir to combine, season with salt and pepper as needed, and put the lid back on until ready to serve.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot
- or a Stock Pot for stove top
- 1/4 C Onion, diced
- 3 – 4 ea Garlic Cloves =, minced
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 4 Tbs Butter (reserve 2 Tbs))
- 2 C Rice (not instant, we like Basmati)
- 3 C Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt (optional)
- 3/4 C Lime juice (reserve 1/4 C)
- 1/3 C Cilantro, chopped
- Black Pepper, to taste
Instant Pot Instructions
- In the bottom of the Instant Pot saute onion in 2 Tbs Butter and Olive Oil until translucent, add garlic and saute one minute, until fragrant. (Careful not to burn garlic.) Add rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and 3/4 C lime juice and place lid on Instant Pot, close valve.
- Press the "Rice" button and walk way. Let the rice cook and naturally depressurize completely.
- Carefully open the Instant Pot Lid – add cilantro and remaining butter and lime juice to the rice, stir well. Salt and Pepper to taste. Close lid until ready to serve.
Stove Top Instructions
- Saute onion in 2 Tbs Butter and Olive Oil until translucent, add garlic and saute one minute, until fragrant. (Careful not to burn garlic.) Add rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and 3/4 C lime juice and bring to a rolling boil. Add salt, cover,and simmer on low heat for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5minutes.
- Add cilantro and remaining butter and lime juice to the rice, stir well. Salt and Pepper to taste.